29 January 2021
* The CHRISTOS THEO remains under tow and her current ETA at Koper, Slovenia is the 08 February 2021.
* It seems that all cargo destined for Italian ports will remain on board the vessel at Koper, Slovenia and be discharged at Ravenna, Italy.
* Cargo destined for Marghera and Salerno is expected be stored at Ravenna until logistic plans are in place to arrange delivery at their original destinations.
* Salvage Security and General Average security will be required from the cargo prior to delivery, any failure to provide such security could result in costly delays. Our guarantees are acceptable to the Salvors, Council of Lloyds and the Average Adjusters and we may be able to assist with the security arrangements.
* WKW already represents a significant quantity of the cargo on board the vessel, so measures are being taken to investigate the incident, handle the salvage and GA aspects, as well exploring the potential recovery areas too.
* Should you insure any cargo and require our assistance we recommend that you contact us as soon as possible.
13 January 2021
Further important information has now been received in relation to this casualty.
* The CHRISTOS THEO loaded a cargo of steel coils at Gwangyang, South Korea destined for Koper (Slovenia), Marghera (Italy), Ravenna (Italy) and Salerno (Italy). Many of the coils are destined to be used in the manufacture of motor vehicles.
* The vessel remains at anchor in the Bitter Lakes, Suez Canal. Once all additional charges are paid to the Suez Canal Authorities, the vessel will require to be towed by salvage tug. It appears from the initial evidence obtained that the vessel was trying to avoid a collision with the convoy vessel ahead called ALIKI and as a result grounded at the 118 KM mark, damaging its rudder and propeller.
* It is understood that the LOF Salvors are sending a large salvage tug to tow the vessel to the first discharge port of Koper, Slovenia. It is possible, although not yet confirmed, that all cargo on board will be discharged at Koper, Slovenia with further arrangements being required to forward cargo to other destinations, but we are seeking further information in this regard.
* The Owners have now also declared General Average and WKW is in close contact with the GA Adjusters regarding formalities, including suitable wordings for the GA Guarantees and Average Bonds.
* Salvage Security will be required by Salvors from a source in the UK and W K Webster may be able to assist. Security provided by W K Webster is acceptable to the Council of Lloyds and is widely preferred by professional Salvors.
* General Average security will also be required from Cargo Interests prior to the delivery of their cargo and we are also likely to be able to assist in that regard.
*W K Webster is already instructed for a substantial volume of cargo on board the vessel and we are taking all necessary steps to investigate the incident and handle all salvage and GA aspects. We therefore recommend that you contact us urgently if you insure any cargo on board this vessel so that we may immediately start taking steps to protect your interests.
* We have received reports that bulk carrier, CHRISTOS THEO suffered rudder and propeller damage whilst taking action to avoid collision navigating in the Suez Canal on 9th January 2021.
* The vessel is currently anchored in the Great Bitter Lake and it is reported that shipowners have signed an LOF agreement with salvors to tow the vessel to discharge ports, prior to repairs.
* Salvage Security may be demanded from a source in the UK and W K Webster may be able to assist. Security provided by WKW is acceptable to the Council of Lloyds and is widely preferred by professional Salvors.
* Additionally, if General Average is declared, General Average security may be required from Cargo Interests prior to the delivery of their cargo and we are also likely to be able to assist in that regard.
* We therefore recommend that you contact us urgently if you insure any cargo on board this vessel so that we can immediately start taking steps to protect your interests.