28 May 2021
* Following the engine room fire on board NYK DELPHINUS, shipowners have now declared General Average and appointed Average Adjusters.
* General Average security may be required from all cargo interests prior to delivery, and we may be able to assist in this regard.
* We are proceeding to retain a Surveyor to investigate the cause of the fire and since we are already instructed for certain cargo on board the vessel may be able to offer some economies of scale in terms of third-party costs.
* Should you be concerned with any cargo currently on board the NYK DELPHINUS and in order that we may assist you with the necessary GA formalities and to take all other steps to protect your interests, we recommend that you contact us as soon as possible.
24 May 2021
* Container carrier NYK Delphinus is now berthed alongside in Oakland, USA, after suffering a fire in the engine on 14th May 2021.
* It is understood that the fire has now been fully extinguished, although as a consequence of its location it has been reported there is presently no electrical supply to the reefer points on board.
* In order to allow further investigation and assessment of the damages, cargo operations have been delayed.
* In light of the above, it is likely that recovery issues will arise, in particular in relation to temperature sensitive reefer cargoes that are now without power and the possibility remains of general average issues.
* Should you insure any cargo on board this vessel and require assistance, we strongly recommend that you contact us as soon as possible.
* We have received reports that fully cellular container ship, NYK DELPHINUS, experienced a fire in its engine room in a position approximately 50 nautical miles off Monterey, California on 14 May 2021.
* It is reported that the fire was brought under control by the crew, but that the vessel was immobilised as a consequence of the fire. Shipowners subsequently contracted with professional salvors to provide assistance to the vessel.
* The vessel is now reported to have been taken under tow by up to 5 tugs towards Oakland, California for inspection.
* It is possible that General Average / Salvage and associated recovery issues may arise as a result of this casualty.
* We recommend that you contact us urgently if you are concerned with any cargo on board this vessel so that we may start taking steps to protect your interests.